I’m a little jealous that I didn’t get to take part in this ALA debate on YA titles we’ll still be reading in 45 years because OH MY LORD there are some awesome books on this list. Having to choose between The Book Thief, The Golden Compass, and The Hunger Games? Now that would lead to some awesome debates.
My choices in each round would have been:
- Round 1: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Round 2: Monster by Walter Dean Myers
- Round 3: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
- Round 4: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Round 5: The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Round 6: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
I’d probably narrow that down to The Golden Compass, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Giver. Since To Kill a Mockingbird has already proven itself to be a classic for generations, my inclination is to vote with Harper Lee. But damn, The Giver is one of my favorites as well, and The Golden Compass is a stunning novel and a start to a powerful series.
The ALA groups didn’t vote the same way I did, so make sure to check out the recap on The Hub. Feel free to share your own votes in the comments!