Today is International Women’s Day and considering female pioneer of aviation Amelia Earhart plays into my novel in a big way, it seems like a fantastic day for a giveaway. First, a few cool facts about the famous aviatrix:
- Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic and nonstop across the United States, and she was the first person to fly solo over the Pacific between Honolulu and Oakland, California.
- She married publisher/promoter/manager George Palmer Putnam, but not before making it clear that she didn’t want their relationship to interfere with her personal or professional goals.
- She was the Aviation Editor for Cosmopolitan magazine and wrote several books about her flying experiences.
- She was friends with first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, another amazing woman from history.
- She had her own clothing line–it’s not just for contemporary celebrities.
- Before becoming a pilot, she worked as a nurse’s aide in a Canadian military hospital during WWI, studied pre-med at Columbia, and was a social worker in Boston.
Want more historical trivia about Amelia Earhart (plus some family drama, driver’s ed, mental health, and kissing)? Enter this giveaway to win a signed copy of The Chance You Won’t Return! Entries are open until March 15.
Want bonus points? Share your favorite female historical figure (or figures, there are a lot of great ladies to choose from) in the comments!