The other day I came across the Best Book Covers of 2014, as listed by New York Times. My reaction:
The covers themselves are fine, but as a collection of the ‘best of,’ they’re all too minimal for my taste, and seem to run toward one idea of aesthetics. So I wondered what covers would be on my ‘best of’ list for 2014. I got into a great conversation on Twitter about what YA covers of 2014 people loved, and thought I’d share a few of my picks here. Some of these I’ve read and loved and some of these I haven’t gotten the chance to read yet, but their covers are so appealing I just had to include them.
- Bleed Like Me by Chrisa Desir
- Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
- Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
- Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Pointe by Brandy Colbert
- Far From You by Tess Sharpe
- Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
- Beware the Wild by Natalie Parker
- The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
- Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
Some of these covers, like Bleed Like Me or The Half Life of Molly Pierce or Stitching Snow are striking just upon first look. Others, like Breakfast Served Anytime or We Were Liars or Far From You are gorgeous when you first see them, but become even more meaningful once you’ve finished the book. And some just appeal to me for my own aesthetic preferences, like Isla and the Happily Ever After and Blue Lily, Lily Blue (love those blue-green tones).
And, of course, I have a very special place in my heart for The Chance You Won’t Return‘s cover.
In case you need even more great YA covers, check out this list from Buzzfeed–special thanks to Liz Maguire!
I know we’re not supposed to judge books based on their covers, but what are some of your favorite YA covers of 2014?